Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Let's Try This Again

I created this blog with the intention that it would help me force myself to write on a more regular basis. I have failed thus far. I am still not making the time to write everyday. However, in an attempt to improve my writing, I have bought a copy of my favorite book for improving writing. I think that The Elements of Style was first introduced to me by a middle school English teacher. I didn't learn much from her in particular but the book was immensely helpful. I like a concise guide to writing that just covers the basics and reminds me to be clear and to the point when I sit down to write a story. My physical copy of the book is sitting in a box somewhere with most of my other possessions, packed up and waiting for a place to go. I now have the audio book version to help me along. It was an impulse buy on iTunes, I have a gift card to use and am seeking some books to use it on since I can't think of any music I desire that I don't already have. I have seen a decline in my music listening as I listen to more and more podcasts. I came upon the book and since I could certainly use a refresher decided to get it. It is also the first time I have bought anything in iTunes since there is a sales tax and that was a whole new frustration in itself. I have been listening here and there and will continue to do so. I am hoping someday that I will actually be able to use a comma correctly. It is a problem that has plagued me as long as I can remember that I still have not conquered though my high school English teacher tried and tried. Since I mostly a visual learner I have also requested Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing from the local library. I have not looked at this book before but should get it in the next few days and then I will see if it is any good or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment