Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Drawing and Description

Well, I was doodling last night and came up with this picture so I decided to force myself to write a descriptive paragraph. This is what I ended up with:

I found myself staring down the dragon, the magnificent beast. It had gleaming gold eyes that expressed far more than I could comprehend. As I gazed, they narrowed into what I could only call a scowl. Its ears were raised and alert, held aloft next to shimmering ivory horns. Then my eyes were helplessly drawn to its mouth. It had a slight beak which did little to hide its toothy grin. Once I could pry my gaze away from its face I was struck by the odd beauty of the creature. Its face was studded with the tiniest scales, like iridescent beads, each ruby red. The scales grew larger and larger as they ran down its serpentine neck until each was the size of my hand. The scales covering its torso were a deep red tinged with gold. The effect was quite striking, the delicate veins of gold running through each scale combined to cover the beast in a beautifully ornate pattern. I was mesmerized until a deep throaty growl broke my trance.

Its a start but I think it still needs some better descriptive words and less repetition. I'll come back to it at another time and try to fix it up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment