Saturday, April 17, 2010

I Sit, I Draw, I Ponder



Well, yesterday I sat down and decided that I was going to draw something though I had no idea what. I decided that I should probably continue to practice drawing people since they have always been a weak point for me. I decided to start out withe a pose and sketched a basic outline. Just for fun, I decided to stop and scan in my drawing before I continued to work on it. I just thought it would be interesting to see the difference between the first outline and final product.



I decided that the figure would be a girl of some sort and sketched a basic face. Then for some reason I decided to work on the feet. I always have a hard time with feet. Even if I can draw one foot well then the other can never live up the expectations created by the first. I always end up with one decent looking foot and some lopsided clubfoot on the other side. Once I had created the boots to my satisfaction, I decided I wanted to draw a belt and thus the belt had to be holding something up. As seen in the drawing, I ended up with some type of skirt on top of leggings and while I don't like this fashion in our own world it works in this one. I just decided to have fun with the texture of the skirt, I didn't want it to be too plain but knew this drawing was not going to be of someone who is into floral prints. I ended up with an interesting layered look for the skirt.

As seen in the previous sketch, I had decided to do some sort of cloak. In the final drawing it has been finished off, I added the buckle to tie the cloak to the bottom portion of the drawing. Since I had gone with a simple texture and look for the cloak, I wanted something more complex for the shirt it was covering. I really don't know what the texture is supposed to imply that the material of the shirt is but I just enjoyed the way it looked. I really haven't figured out who this character is. Probably some type of sorceress given my usual genre of writing and the fact that the clothing certainly is not modern. Well that will be a question for a different day. For now at least I have a new drawing for future inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment