Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spring Wanderings

Well, I seem to have wandered away from this blog and not wandered back in a timely manner. I have been having a hard time thinking of what to write so I seem to have backed off from blogging which defeats the purpose of this endeavor. I started this blog to help me write on a more regular basis so now I have to try to get back to that. So what have I been doing lately since I clearly haven't been writing?
I have been enjoying the spring. I like that magical week where everything suddenly wakes up. everything was brown and dead and then suddenly green creeps in. I drove home for Easter and everything was drab and then over that one weekend everything started to green up. I took this picture while I was walking around the yard at home:

I like this picture, it captures the transition taking place. The Vermont winter is over and the flowers are beginning to break through the chaff of the past year and reach for the sun. Then I drove back to Pennsylvania and took some pictures in the park:

I spent a lot of time looking up and just admiring the silhouettes of the trees against the sky. The trees are especially interesting now as they are budding. You can still see their structure because their leaves are still unfurling. The leaves themselves are a vibrant green and delicate though they deepen and toughen as they age. It was lucky I was looking up, otherwise I never would have seen these birds:

I don't actually know what kind of birds these are but I thought they were interesting because they weren't the Canadian geese or mallard ducks I see everyday at the park. For instance, here are some of geese I saw:

After bruising my shin, I did decide to start looking down as well as up and even took some pictures of the flowers I came across:



I should mention that as I was walking in the park I was looking for flowering trees, everyone has them planted in their yards but there were not so many in the park but that didn't stop me from seeking them out. I also got some strange looks from some of the other people in the park as I crouched to photograph of a tiny plant or walked along taking constant pictures of the sky above. Here is my favorite picture that I managed to take of a flowering tree:

I just wanted to capture this fleeting moment, these few delicate blossoms before they were gone. Well, that is what I have been up to. I promise myself once again that I will try to post on a more regular basis. I've had a few thoughts that I want to write about, such as my internetless weekend at home and the realizations it lead to as well as my thoughts about the reading I have been doing lately so I will have to see if anything becomes of those topics. For now, at least I have a few pretty spring pictures to look at as everything fills out and becomes more green and the last traces of winter fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment